The Boston Globe's CEO apologized to U.S. House Speaker John Boehner yesterday for a "tasteless" Boston.com story that mocked death threats aimed at the Ohio Republican and sparked outrage on social media over its insensitivity.
The apology came after the article was revised numerous times and editor's notes were added — including one stating Boston.com was "sorry" for the entire ordeal.
"I thought it was tasteless, insensitive, unnecessary and regrettable," Mike Sheehan, chief executive officer of Boston Globe Media Partners, said of the story.
Sheehan told the Herald he sent an apology to the speaker. That letter came after Boehner's office called to complain about the article yesterday morning while it was still posted online.
"It should be obvious to any sentient human being that an item mocking threats against the Speaker and his family is completely insensitive and inappropriate," Boehner's press secretary, Michael Steel, wrote in an email to the Herald.
The article, which was first posted prominently on the Boston.com's home-page "Top News" section Tuesday evening and remained there for about 12 hours, was headlined: "Would Anyone Have Noticed if Bartender Succeeded in Poisoning John Boehner?"
The article, written by Boston.com associate editor Victor Paul Alvarez, insulted the speaker and said if he had been poisoned, his "pickled liver could have filtered out the toxins."
The episode also sparked sharp comments from U.S. Rep. Stephen F. Lynch, who said the article "crossed the line."
"It's disgraceful, and I'm disappointed but I'm not surprised," the South Boston congressman told the Herald. "That type of — I don't know what you would call it — that type of story has absolutely no place in our discourse."
Although Boston.com was silent for hours amid a furor of criticism over the article, Corey Gottlieb, Boston.com's general manager, issued an apologetic statement yesterday afternoon.
"Last night, an opinion piece was published on Boston.com that has since been adjusted to what is currently on the site," Gottlieb wrote. "The original column made references to Speaker Boehner that were off-color and completely inappropriate. It reflected the opinions of one of our writers; what it did not reflect, by any standards, were the site's collective values.
"Rather than remove any reference to it or pretend it didn't happen," he added, "we are handling with transparency and self-awareness. We are sorry, and we will do better."
Michael R. Hoyt, 44, of Deer Park, Ohio, was indicted in federal court last week on charges he threatened to kill the speaker by shooting him and poisoning his wine. He had tended bar at the Wetherington Country Club in Ohio, where Boehner is a member.
As the Herald reported yesterday, Hoyt — who told police the devil was talking to him through his car radio — is now under observation at the Bay State's Devens Federal Medical Center.
Anda sedang membaca artikel tentang
Globe CEO apologizes for Boston.com story mocking Boehner death threat
Dengan url
http://terakhirjaman.blogspot.com/2015/01/globe-ceo-apologizes-for-bostoncom.html
Anda boleh menyebar luaskannya atau mengcopy paste-nya
Globe CEO apologizes for Boston.com story mocking Boehner death threat
namun jangan lupa untuk meletakkan link
Globe CEO apologizes for Boston.com story mocking Boehner death threat
sebagai sumbernya
0 komentar:
Posting Komentar